Monday, April 03, 2006

Day Off

I can't stand stupid questions. Maybe that means I shouldn't be instructing undergrads, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I just received an email this morning, something along the lines of "I want to do option X for the extra credit assignment, but I don't know how to do y and z." When I wrote specific, step-by-step, a third year old could follow them, instructions on the class website. But this student was too lazy or too stupid to read them. So I replied by copying and pasting what I wrote on the website. I do the same thing when I get a stupid question that's answered on the syllabus. Argh!

Ok, so maybe it is too early and I haven't gotten enough sleep with being out late at the bars Friday night and then the whole losing an hour for daylight savings thing.

On the good side of things, I finally found out my teaching assignment for next semester. I was somewhat distraught and annoyed on Friday when another grad student was proudly bragging about her assignment, and thinking to myself, I don't know mine... that must mean I'm not getting funding in the fall. (You see, we're only guaranteed funding for 5 years and next year is my 6th, I'm slow). But thankfully, I got the official email on Saturday and I'm teaching psych 101. I haven't taught that in two years, but I requested it because I needed a change from my current assignment which I've done 3 semesters in a row and even though I keep changing books, my lectures are getting stale. I am somewhat annoyed with the assignment because I requested a good timeslot and a smaller class, figuring since I have the most teaching experience of all the grad students, that maybe I'd get my first choice. No apparently, I got my last choice which is the largest section of the class and at a shitty time. Fun! LIBF (live-in boyfriend) says that the reason I got that class is probably because I have the most experience with big classes. LIBF got a teaching assignment for the fall as well, which I think will be very good for him. He hasn't had as much teaching experience, but he is brilliant and I think will be a great and entertaining teacher.

And now that I've spewed all of my ranting and complaining onto the blog, I can take my day off and enjoy the opening of baseball season!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home