Monday, March 20, 2006

Twice in one day...

I've really got a lot of things I want to talk about. Sometimes they all rush into my head at once (usually when I've driving or otherwise not near a computer) and often they all vanish when I sit in front of the computer to post an entry.

Shit... and there they all go...

Ok, well, I'm new to this academic/life blogging thing. I did mention I have another blog (it's a knitting blog - there's hundreds of them, so I doubt you'll find me especially because I'm fairly low on the popularity scale). For the most part if it isn't knitting related, the stuff posted there is fairly benign life stuff, because as I mentioned before, my mom reads it, so I can't say something that has been on my mind for a while such as "I've been on the pill for nearly 10 years, maybe I should try something else. Anyone have opinions on alternative options?" Yeah, mom can't know that. Also, since it isn't anonymous/pseudonymous I can't openly complain about students or school without the fear of students or professors finding it. Posting "my advisor is really pissing me off today" (which isn't true right now, but was a couple of weeks ago) is not so smart when she could probably easily find it.

So that's why I've created this blog. How about some more about me?

Yes, I'm a grad student at a research 1 university. I'll tell you I'm in psychology, but otherwise we'll leave it vague. I'm just starting the dissertation phase and hope to be finished and employed by May '07. I teach a very large (400 students, lucky me) upper level lecture course in psychology. I've been teaching these big classes for the past 3 years so it is old hat to me now, although I do hope to end up at a university with much, much smaller class sizes.

Are you still reading?

Where did the title come from? Good question. "The Art of Distance" is the title of a song by singer/songwriter Ellis Paul. Go google him. Listen to his music. It is poetic and moving and lovely. I thought "the art of distance" is a good name for a pseudonymous blog. It is an art (that will probably take me some time to perfect, but I've seen done beautifully on other pseudonymous academic blogs) to simultaneously put yourself out to the world, yet keep just enough hidden.

As time goes by, you'll learn more about me (and I hope to learn more about you), but questions in the comments are always welcome to draw out more information (although I reserve the right to not answer everything!).

Let's see now that I've wasted 2 hours setting up this blog and posting, it would probably be smart to get back to writing a few lectures so I won't have to throw them together at the last minute like usual!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home